Why bamboo for the Truthbrush?
- Bamboo is the perfect material for the Truthbrush as it is beautiful to look at, warm to touch and fully biodegradable. The natural antibacterial and antifungal properties of bamboo mean the Truthbrush is hygienic too.
- Bamboo is resistant to natural pests which means the bamboo can be farmed organically.
Where is the Truthbrush made?
- The brushes from Truthbrush are made in China which the has the perfect climate for bamboo. Moso bamboo grows up to a metre a day here as it has the perfect conditions to thrive.
- Truthbrush know that shipping to Europe has a carbon footprint, although the amount is tiny for each brush.
- This is why Truthbrush have chosen to carbon offset shipping both from China to us and from us to you.
Why castor oil bristles?
Truthbrush would love to find a genuine plastic-free alternative to nylon bristles which could biodegrade. However, after extensive research they realised that the only non-plastic alternative is boar bristles (pig hair). This would be unacceptable to many people. There are also unsubstantiated claims of biodegradable nylon 4 bristles, in reality this is not commercially available. Truthbrush therefore use bristles which are 62% castor oil and 38% nylon. This means less petroleum-based plastic. Truthbrush are constantly searching for an alternative, but until then, they believe that a biodegradable handle with castor oil-based bristles is much better than a plastic toothbrush.
Will buying bamboo products be detrimental to pandas?
No – The brushes made from Moso bamboo, a type of bamboo which is inedible to pandas. The bamboo we use comes from a sustainable forest in China.